Thursday, August 09, 2007

P.S.1, Harry Potter, Flooding, expressive opinions

I will start with the flooding.
It rained a lot here Wednesday.
The basement filled up with water.
Many people LIVE in the basements in this area, and they were a sad sight to see.
I went out in the morning and saw cars that had been washed onto the sidewalks, Some cars were UNDER water.
One building a few blocks away, the basement garage was *full* of water. There was about 3-7 inches of clearance between the water and the top of the garage door.
So many people were standing outside in disbelief. It was a sad sight.
It was SO hot and humid too.
DH worked from home... I caught up on some much needed sleep.

I worked with polymer clay and had some fun pulling canes of flowers.

I used his computer with wireless this weekend and watched You Tube for the first time without having to wait 45 minutes for a 2 minute video clip!
I have to get wireless!!!

Well, we were out for most of the weekend.
Saturday we hopped on over to Forest Hills and spent a little while on Continental, then Austin.
Hung out with a shop keeper in a store we love, walked to Barnes and Noble to check out some mags, and flipped through some books.
Then took a tour through the gated community.
It was SO quiet that we could hear the flapping of *sparrows* wings, the munching of nuts being chewed by squirrels and the sound of flies buzzing here and there.
Earlier in the morning DH wanted to go to a farm, but I think FH is good enough because I did not want to *smell* a farm.

After a nice walk we headed back to the 'hood, and got some provisions from the market.

Sunday the CRAZY parade was outside this time it was another country celebrating it's life here.
Good gosh was it LOUD!
Very abusive.

DH wanted to go to the field to fly kites, but there was no real wind.
So we hopped a train to LIC and I figured there would be wind by the water.
It was SO quiet over there by the train yard, that he just took in a deep breath and thanked me for getting him out of the neighborhood.

We walked over to P.S.1 and it was our first time going inside.
It may be my last.
We were both more impressed with the building interior and exterior itself than with the art.
Some of the "art" was just AWFUL!
Too many people mistake the concept of expression with the form and purpose of art.
Yes, there IS a difference.

I must admit. My favorite's included some morbid lazy bones installment that I didn't even bother looking for the title of.
It was a HUGE black skeleton laying in a hammock that was braided with skulls and heads hanging.
NOW before you think I am nuts, I didn't see it as a dark and dismal piece. I actually saw it as if the bare bones in the hammock was representative of war taking a rest.
I liked it. And the braiding was cool.

There were a few wall pieces that made me smile.
I liked some of the DOTS.

Sadly though, much of what we saw was NOT art, but conceptual babble.

There were some VERY interesting black and white compositions painted in the stairwells which inspired me.

There were some serious fire hazards that DH was pointing out as we walked through the basement.

I was just not impressed with some of the ridiculous mind numbing garbage on display.
Dragging an electric guitar over grass and blasting the sound that it makes is NOT art.
It is noise pollution.
OK so I am a critic.


The food was overpriced, I didn't order any, there were FLIES all over the place.
The food DH ordered was supposed to be hot. It was barely lukewarm.
The staff was very sweet.

I had more fun walking through the factories and pawing through the dumpsters.
I didn't take anything, but saw some cool fabrics.

The graph yard was full of kids, and aero artists.
I still need to take some pics to show you my favorite pieces.

After that we walked to Queensborough Plaza, and then hopped a bus to Kaufman Astoria Studios.
It was a bit late so DH grabbed Star $'s
We went to see HP.
Figured we could rent the Borne U.

HP was too fast, but it was fun.

I never read a HP book, but the movies are pretty cool.

That's all for now, I want to get back to making stuff.

1 comment:

Sonji Hunt said...

Amber, I'm so glad that you are fine. That weather was freaky. It never occurred to me how many people live in basement apartments in NYC. That's awful. And all the street flooding. Wow.

And yes...you must get a wireless laptop. You get so much more done with one. I loved having it when I was in Mississippi. I didn't have to rely on anyone else's resources. Just packed up it up and off we went. I've got a wireless card for it, at the cost of a cellphone. But, you could just sit in a Panera or some other place with WiFi and go. Take care.